Home » Server Options » Data Guard » problem in switchover (Oracle 10g, 10.2.0.3, Solaris)
problem in switchover [message #396574] Tue, 07 April 2009 04:28 Go to next message
suresh.wst
Hi,

I was trying to perform switchover but when I tried to execute the sql statement at the primary, it is just pausing. Can anybody help me out. I gave the following sql statement:

SQL> alter database commit to switchover to physical standby;

I checked the log sequence both the sides using

SQL> archive log list

The output shows both primary and standby has same current log sequence.

Thanks & Regards
Suresh
Re: problem in switchover [message #396613 is a reply to message #396574] Tue, 07 April 2009 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sahba1969

hallo,

use the command:
alter database commit to switchover to physical standby with session shutdown;

it takes awhile for the switchover to fionish, the follwoing happens:
1. the original primary db will shutdown immediate and restarted in mount mode as the new physical standby
2. the original standby will shutdown immediate and restarted as the new primary in open mode.

so that any open sessions will be closed... may be the pause comes from the fact that the primary db still has open sessions.
wirth this commad the sessions will be closed for you

also check th alert log file for any information..

good luck and inform me of any progression
Sahba

p.s. which oracle server version and palttform are you working on?

Re: problem in switchover [message #396627 is a reply to message #396613] Tue, 07 April 2009 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

@Sahba1969

Thanks for your help.

Please follow OraFaq rules.

You need to help us by following the Posting Guidelines as stated below.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

Babu
Re: problem in switchover [message #396898 is a reply to message #396627] Wed, 08 April 2009 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sahba1969
hello Babu,

was there anything impolite in my recent answer?

i made some tip errors, but i'm sure it was understandble, nevertheless.

regrads
Sahba
Re: problem in switchover [message #396905 is a reply to message #396898] Wed, 08 April 2009 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Hello Sahba,

Quote:
use the command:
alter database commit to switchover to physical standby with session shutdown;

Thanks for your helping. Your not done any mistakes. But you need follow OraFaq rules. Like whenever your posting any script always use "Code" tag.

That's the reason i sent link to you.

Thanks you in advance.

Babu

Re: problem in switchover [message #398549 is a reply to message #396574] Thu, 16 April 2009 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sahba1969

Hello Suresh ,
I was wondering, whether my message from Tue, 07 April 2009 did any good for your problem.

Did you try it out? were you successfull and able to transit the database roles?
regards
Sahba
Re: problem in switchover [message #398554 is a reply to message #396613] Thu, 16 April 2009 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rashmingadhavi
Hello,
I am similer switch over probelem.
1. My Primary DB is up and running.
2. Due to network failure i had to bring my secondary Physical stand by in "OPEN"N" mode.
3. I do not know now how to bring the secondary Physical standby to - original "Physical Standby" mode.
4. The connection between Primary and PhyStandby was stopped fore few days...so there is a achieved file difference.
5. I do not have origianl Contraol fiel on PhyStandby machine, that was used when we created Phystand by months ago..

Question: Do i have to generate contraol file for PhyStandby from my Primary again?

How can i bring my secondary DB in Physical stnadby mode again?

Re: problem in switchover [message #398558 is a reply to message #398554] Thu, 16 April 2009 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sahba1969

Hello rashmingadhavi,

I assume the following:
you did a failover, since you made the physical stdby db an open (read/write) db. so now it is your the new primary db.

Which oracle db server did you use to setup your data guard?
this is important, because of the follows;:

with oracle 9i: you need to setup the physical stdby from the new Primary db, which means the original primary db is no longer functionable after failover. the original physical stdby is now your primary db. you need to follow the same steps to setup the dataguard as you did before failover.

with oracle 10g: if had flash recovery area defined together with flashback restore point, then reset the new primary to the restore point, and start the original primary als physical stdby.

if you haven't had flash recovery area defined, then you need to re-create the physical stdby from the new primary as with oracle 9i

with oracle 11g: again here you need the Flash recovery area defined in the db to start the old primary as physical stdby. in this version, it is made simpler as with 10g.

good luck!
regards
sahba
Re: problem in switchover [message #398854 is a reply to message #396574] Sat, 18 April 2009 09:13 Go to previous message
suresh.wst
Hi Sabha,

I found a bug related to my issue in metalink. So I am on the oracle support. I appreciate your help. Thankyou.

Regards
Suresh
Previous Topic: ORA-00439: feature not enabled: Managed Standby
Next Topic: switch over failure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 02:18:10 CDT 2024